35S in PCR machines..

lmullen at eye1.eye.ufl.edu lmullen at eye1.eye.ufl.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:10:28 EST 1994

To:            methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net
From:          smrodems at students.wisc.edu (Steve Rodems)
Subject:       Re: 35S in PCR machines..
Date:          Sat, 09 Apr 1994 22:27:57 -0600

In article <9APR94.15113746 at plato.oci.utoronto.ca>,
bahr at plato.oci.utoronto.ca wrote:

> In the past I remember there being some discussion about 35S contamination
> of thermocyclers caused by inappropriate tubes.  Is there a consensus
> about which tubes are safe or unsafe for use with 35-S ?
>
> -Fran-

I guess thin-walled tubes can have tiny cracks that radioactivity can leak
through.  However, I heard that the big problem with 35S is that when
heated at the elevated temps required for PCR it can break down possibly
into H2S which would be volatile and able to contaminate the whole machine.
 Can anybody back this up or am I dreaming things again?

--
Steve "Some day I will get the hell out of Wisconsin" Rodems

"Then I am here for the Lee family renioun ... shur-wajo-shur"

You aren't dreaming. When we bought our machines from MJ, they sent us a
warning about the safety of using 35S, exactly as you stated above. This
included 0.2 ml Polypropylene tubes and 96 well microassay plates.
																					(I'm in no way associated with the company, of course).
Lynne Mullen
Department of Ophthalmology
University of Florida
1600 SW Archer Road