Direct sequencing of lambda DNA?

ajwatson ajwatson at romeo.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 12 14:07:40 EST 1994

Hello 'Netters,

Has anyone out there successfully done any direct sequencing of lambda
pahge DNA templates?  If so, are there any special concerns for phage
DNA compared to plasmid DNA?  We can do either regular 35-S (Sequenase)
or cycle sequencing using 32-P end-labeled or fluorescent dye-labeled
primers/terminators.  I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work in
a cycle-sequencing situation.  But those are often famous last words.

On a related note:  has anyone done cycle sequencing on fragments in
agarose, or is purification from the agarose required?

Thanks in advance.

John