Interesting WWW links for scientists!!!!

Artur Burzynski burzynas at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Apr 13 18:04:55 EST 1994

In article <leach-100494080626 at ppp-6-12.bu.edu>, you say:

>Hi netters,
>
>while surfing the internet I have found a number of interesting WWW pages
>using the program mosaic.
>
>I think it would be a good thing if other scientists here could post
>interesting WWW hypermedia links also.
>
>To start the ball rolling here are a couple.
[..]

NCBI home page:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

You can access BLAST similarity search program & database from here.
BUT:

In article <2oc3uo$qkr at ysics.physics.sunysb.edu>, mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) says:>
[...]
>Oh great.  Just in time for the bug fixed version probably.  Mosaic 2.alpha2
>for Windows is less than stable.  The NCBI Blast page brings it down like a
>load of bricks.  NCBI is not interested in fixing the problem.  I got one
>reply from them that seemed to imply that I should buy a Unix box if I want
>to use their service.

If you can get Mosaic2.alpha3 to work, it has no problems loading
Blast search page. But up to now I was unable to complete any search
this way either. Maybe the next version...

Try also this:

http://gc.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/bio/bio_home.html

or this:

http://info.er.usgs.gov/network/science/biology/index.html

Using of complex documents with current windows mosaic could be impossible,
but you can try also this:

http://gdbwww.gdb.org/

(BTW one can get access to this particular database with special program
for Mackintosh or via telnet after registration - but free)

Artur Burzynski