Metaphor Agarose - how is it?

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Apr 13 17:50:49 EST 1994

>>I've been thinking of trying out Metaphor Agarose from FMC. It's supposedly
>>good for separating out low molecular weight DNA fragments. Does anyone
>>have any experience with it? How does it compare with NuSieve?
>
>I tried it and found it useless. The band were not well defined and the
>resolution poor.  I ended up using polyacrylamide which was much much better.

I tried both of these and found bands were very diffuse, so that low quantities
of DNA are difficult to see. I would rather use a highly purified agarose like
FMC SeaKem Gold and pour it at 1.0 to 1.5 %. Any DNA fragment that runs too
fast on this can be seen on a polyacrylamide gel with better resolution.