re actin probes in northerns

Adrian Molenaar Molenaara at Ruakura.cri.nz
Wed Apr 13 16:08:54 EST 1994

In article <Apr2.071341.30756 at acs.ucalgary.ca>, ktetro at acs.ucalgary.ca
(Kelly Tetro) wrote:

> In my reading, I have noticed many people use actin as a positive
> control in Northern Blots. I am wondering where I might find
> actin cDNA. I have also been told there are several types of
> actin (alpha, beta and gamma), which are in HeLa cells?
>
> I would sincerely appreciate any information or advice you can
> give.
>
> Kelly Tetro
> acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca

Hi

Actin is not necessarily a good control for northerns especially if you are
using it to standardise between cell states as it's expression changes with
cell activity.  I suggest you use a ribosomal RNA probe.

 deLeeuw, W. J. F., P. E. Slagboom, and J. Vijg. 1989. Quantitative
comparison of mRNA levels in mammalian tissue: 28S ribosomal RNA level as
an accurate internal control. Nucl. Acids Res. 17:10137.

Regards

Adrian Molenaar