PCR

John Brunstein brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Wed Apr 13 13:11:03 EST 1994

Hello Jiri,
	There was a thread a few months back where it was suggested that
ordinary petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline) would do quite well (sorry, i
don't remember who said they had used this).  However, our lab has a
really simple method for getting hot starts, and I was wondering if
perhaps there is some glaringly obvious reason why other labs don't do
this as well:
	we just set up the PCR reaction on ice and KEEP it on ice until
the thermocycler blocks hit 90C or so; THEN put the tubes in and go have
a coffee.  Not only don't you have to buy gems or squish vaseline into
tubes but you can mix the reaction mixture yourself instead of hoping
convection will do a good enough job for you after the phases come in
contact.
	I would be really interested in hearing other people's opinions
on this seemingly simple method.  Is there a reason no-one else does it
this way?