Ethidium disposal (a VFAQ)

Joerg Langowski jl at macjl.embl-grenoble.fr
Wed Apr 13 12:07:05 EST 1994

Somewhere on this newsgroup I read a reference to the controversy about
whether or not to dispose ethidium waste by adding hypochlorite, and would
like to know whether the postings have been archived somewhere or if
someone can give me any other hints. In essence, what I remember is someone
saying that the warning given in Maniatis about destroying ethidium with
Clorox is based on a misinterpretation of some paper in Anal. Biochem, and
that you can in fact safely destroy ethidium waste by oxidation with
hypochlorite. What is rumor, what is fact? Thanks for replying.

--
Joerg Langowski / EMBL Grenoble