Scanning of Agarose Gels

Matt McLeod mwmcleod at athena.mit.edu
Wed Apr 13 01:16:48 EST 1994

In article <9404062018.AA16488 at mailgate.roche.com> Bob DeLisio,
delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com writes:

>From:	INET::"mcblab47 at leonis.nus.sg" "Chia Jin Ngee" 23-FEB-1994
03:22:20.60
>To:	methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net

>I know this is difficult too see with words. For those who know how to
>uudecode, I may post a uuencoded scan of the agarose gel. Again this is
>only possible with a overwhelming response :-) Posting a scanned
>sequencing gel autorad is out of the question.

I am currently working on a presentation/paper for a project laboratory
course which I am taking, and am considering including scanned gel
photographs for both overheads and as figures in the paper.
Unfortunately I am having some trouble getting the smaller bands (which
seem visible to the naked eye) to show up in the scanned image.  I was
wondering if you have encountered similar difficulties and if so, were
able to resolve it with a change in software or hardware?  (I can
probably get access to better software and hardware if it would help, but
is it worth the effort?)  I am currently using Ofoto, and an HP Scanjet
IIp.  Any help/ideas anyone can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Matt McLeod
MIT '95
Phi Sig offers you not idle meadows and indolent shores, she offers you
hills, and a star...