mineral oil on thermocycler block

Steven Coon at umich.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:53:41 EST 1994

In article <MAILQUEUE-101.940412131744.288 at tuvira.ciagri.usp.br>,
MCDORNEL at TUVIRA.CIAGRI.USP.BR ("Marcelo Carnier Dornelas") wrote:

> Hi netters
>
>         I've seen people using mineral oil on thermocycler block to
> increase heat transfer to the tubes. Is this necessary? Doesn't it
> reduces the lifetime of the thermocycler's block?
>         Thanks for any comments
>
>                         Marcelo Carnier Dornelas
>                         Genetics Department
>                         University of Sao Paulo
>                         "Luiz de Queiroz" School of Agronomy

It is may not be absolutely necessary to have the mineral oil but I doubt
that the reactions will work as well as they usually do. Some people use
glycerol instead but I doubt that either  effects the block at all. These
materials also allow more even temperatures too by filling in spaces. Most
machines expect you are going to use something but I do think most use
glycerol since it comes with most machines you buy today. I personally
wouldn't do  PCR without it since a few degrees difference can make a
difference in your results. I also think the only way really to find out is
to try it but if it works well with it why try to fix it?

Steve Coon
sdcoon at umich.edu
University of Michigan School of Dentistry