What was hydroxy-lysine?

Brian T. Greuel GREUELB1 at JAGUAR.UOFS.EDU
Thu Apr 14 15:53:42 EST 1994

In article <2ojups$o2l at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>, mlush at crc.ac.uk (Mr. M.J.
Lush) writes:

> We have managed to produce a limited amount of protein
> sequence by edman degredation,  unfortunatly one of these contains two
> hydroxy-lysines.
>
> 	We wish to use these protein sequences to devise degenerate
> oligos so we want to know:-
>
> 	What was hydroxy-lysine (OH-lys) before it was altered?

It was lysine!  Lysine and proline residues are hydroxylated in some proteins
by a specific hydroxylase enzyme which occurs in the endoplasmic reticulum.
These modifications are made co-translationally, I believe, to produce
hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline residues, respectively.

> 	Is this an artifact?

Of what?  The Edman degradation?  I don't think so.

> 	Has OH-lys been found in proteins _other_ than collagen?
> And if so what was it doing there?

It is also found in elastin, another extracellular matrix protein.  I think
these hydroxylysine and hydroxyproline residues act to stabilize the
interchain linkages of fibrous proteins such as collagen and elastin.

> --
> Michael

Hope this helps.

‹ Brian