How to get Mosaic for WWW browsing

Dennis Benson dab at ray.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Apr 14 16:03:49 EST 1994

Michael Holloway (mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu) wrote:
> In article <leach-100494083712 at ppp-6-12.bu.edu> leach at mbcrr.harvard.edu (Martin Leach) writes:
> >BTW rumour has it a company has bought the rights to Mosaic. Therefore, get
> >the program running now before all traces are removed.!!!

> Oh great.  Just in time for the bug fixed version probably.  Mosaic 2.alpha2
> for Windows is less than stable.  The NCBI Blast page brings it down like a
> load of bricks.  NCBI is not interested in fixing the problem.  I got one
> reply from them that seemed to imply that I should buy a Unix box if I want
> to use their service.

> Mike Holloway
> mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu

Mike -- We've spent lots of time looking at the problem and all the evidence
pointed to a problem with Mosaic -- we just received a message from a user
who tried the latest alpha release of Mosaic 2.0 and the Blast search window
worked.  We've also put up the Alpha 3 release and it corrected the problem
for us as well.

Please give Alpha 3 a try and let us know if this does the trick

Regards,

Dennis Benson
NCBI

Subject: Re: Mosaic window client and BLAST
To: Herve Recipon <recipon at esprit.nlm.nih.gov>

Herve,
   I have tried mosaic 2.0 alpha3 and the blast search window is fine.
   alpha 3 is a 32bit application which requires users to install win32 to
   use.

   | Stephen Baird                        sbaird at mgcheo.med.uottawa.ca  |
   | Molecular Genetics                       tel: 613-738-3925         |
   | Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario   fax: 613-738-4833         |
   | 415 Smyth Rd.                                                      |
   | Ottawa, Ontario                                                    |
   | Canada                                                             |
   | K1H 8M8                                                            |