PCR

Andreas Vogel vogel at urz.unibas.ch
Fri Apr 15 11:30:59 EST 1994

hi there,
somebody recently asked:

 drabek at risc (Mgr.Jiri Drabek), Faculty Hospital, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 14:31:00

Hello, netters!
Please, does anybody know alternative (cheap, home made) for PERKIN-ELMER
AmpliWax PCR gem (used for hot start)?
Any answer will be appreciated.

(sorry, I don't know how to put those nice ">" next to a citation)

Yes, there's an alternative: plain paraffin wax in beads or "pastilles",
melting point 57-60C, for example from BDH, Poole, England, the kind that you
use for embedding. They look and work just like those Ampliwax things for $2
apiece, but cost only, say
a piece, but cost only
(oops, damn that e-mail editor!!) ... only $40 per kilo!
I've been using them for a while, and I never had any contamination problems.

Good luck,
Andreas

Andreas Vogel
Biozentrum der Universitaet
CH-4056 Basel
SWITZERLAND

Phone +41 61 267 2064  Fax +41 61 267 2078

Asterix: "Quel beau pais, si gai, si paisible!"
The Swiss Guy: "Oui, tout est harmonie chez nous!"