Nucleic Acid Binding on Syringe Filters

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Sun Apr 17 14:23:48 EST 1994

In a previous article, dkim at unm.edu () says:

>Hi:
>
>I am trying to use a small syringe filter as a replacement for Millipore's
>Ultra-Free MC cartridge filters for centrifugation. I have only a very small
>volume to be cleared (I am doing POly(A+) selections), so I thought I could
>use the cheaper mini syringe filters supplied by Nalgene. These have Luer-
>ends for syringe use and either a Nylon or Cellulose Acetate membrane of 0.2
>or 0.45 micron pore size.
>
>Do either of these membranes bind significant amounts of RNA under low salt
>conditions? How about high salt conditions. The Nalgene people have only data
>regarding protein binding.

for filtering volumes of 1 mL or less we use Rainin Microfilterfuge
filters, which have nylon-66 membranes with 0.45 or 0.22 um pores.  we have
used them with RNA without problems.  we also use them to clean the trash
from dissolved oligos when they are first delivered after synthesis.

they are also handy for small spin columns of sephadex.