DNA extraction from eggs

Steven Coon sdcoon at umich.edu
Mon Apr 18 00:31:19 EST 1994

In article <94105.124617APARKER at MAINE.MAINE.EDU>, <APARKER at MAINE.MAINE.EDU>
wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I need to extract PCR-able DNA from fish eggs that were frozen shortly
> after fertilization (eg not too many cells present).  They are large,
> yolky things, meaning that I need a protocol that will isolate a small
> amount of DNA from a relatively large amount of lipid.  Any advice
> would be greatly appreciated.

Generally most procedures I have seen use methanol/chloroform extractions
to remove the lipid and fat from samples especially when it is the proteins
they are interested in. If your samples are primarily lipid perhaps it
would work even though you are interested in the DNA.

Steven Coon
sdcoon at umich.edu
University of Michigan Medical Center