Wizard (again ! :)

Ron Kagan rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 18 20:00:43 EST 1994

In article <2ojlp9$dgc at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> Christopher Coward,
cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk writes:
>I have just used the Wizard prep system and have noticed something - the
>samples freeze fine in the freezer, but thaw faster than I would expect
and
>does not stay frozen when placed on ice (unlike a sample in water that
does
>stay frozen).  Presumeably this is due to some compound that stays in
the prep,
>this could explain the automated sequencing problems that people seem to
have been having.
>I have yet to try any sequecing from these samples, or from EtOH
precipitated
>Wiazrd preps, but I will post the results when I have them.

I have noticed the same phenomenon of more rapid thawing of DNA samples
from Wizard minipreps.  I don't do automated sequencing, however I had no
trouble manually sequencing an insert in pUC 19 prepared with the wizard
miniprep.  I did my usual cycle sequencing protocol (delta-Taq, from USB)
and the results were good (as they are for magic preps).

Ron Kagan
rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu