Sequencing gel

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Tue Apr 19 10:19:14 EST 1994

In article <yangy-150494125340 at>,
yangy at (Yolanda Yang) wrote:

> In article <Stephen_Lasky-130494151444 at>,
> Stephen_Lasky at (Stephen R. Lasky) wrote:
> > I have had that problem when I used plates the first time after
> > siliconizing them with dichlorodimethylsilane.  The gel used to crawl out
> > into the top tank.  You can avoid this by washing the plates with a
> > slightly abrasive powder detergent after you siliconize them.  That always
> > worked for me.
> >
> In our lab, we found that Rain-X (found in auto shops) is a great
> substitute for silicon, and less toxic.  We avoid the "crawling" phenomenon
> by only Rain-Xing the short plate, so that the gel sticks to the long
> plate.
> yolanda yang
> yangy at

I also use Rain-ex now but still like to siliconize both plates.  I don't
have a crawling problem as long as I was the plates with comet before I use

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at         LandLine: 401-456-6572
A nuclear war could ruin your whole day.