Brij58 in blocking? Or others

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Apr 19 23:38:26 EST 1994

>Hi all netters!
>I had a question in newsgroup few weeks ago concerning blocking. A lady send me
>a reply telling that Brij 58 is a good blocker. Well sorry to say I lost her
>address , so If you read this again I would like to get a message from you!
>I am interested in concentration and overall usage of that specific reagent. So
>if you see this, send me a note please. Of course other people dealing with
>Brij 58 or other funny blocking substances will be noticed. P.S could anyone
>explain me how different blockers actually work? I mean if you use different
>membranes, say zeta-probe (highly cationic) nitrocellulose or PVDF
>(hydrophobic).

Hre is a quickie method that sometimes works if your hybes are giving
background with positively charged nylon membranes.

Pre-hybe your hybe mix with a piece of membrane that you are NOT going to
use and it will remove some of the stuff that sometimes non-specifivally
sticks.

Mind I use 7%SDS (note 7% ) 2x PE 1% BSA and that is never necessary.

Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Matthaei
Gene Targeting
The Australian National University
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au
Landline: 61 6 249 3782

"I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy"