TBE buffer precipitation

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 20 21:26:29 EST 1994

>Help!  My lab has been making 10XTBE buffer solution
>

>s for years and
>we frequently get precipitation forming.  Does anyone know the cause of this
>problem?  How can you make up 10XTBE stock solutions that do not precipitate?
>What problems can TBE precipitation cause if we use the buffer anyway in
>our experiments (sequencing gels, agarose gels)?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Rick in Indiana

The answer my friends seems to be blowing in the wind : DUST??

0.2 micron filter the 10xTBE and it stops precipitating (at least in my hands).

Micronucleation of salts is my conclusion and yes if the ppte forms, then
the sequencing gels don't get hot enough.

Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Matthaei
Gene Targeting
The Australian National University
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au
Landline: 61 6 249 3782

"I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy"