Glowing Blue DNA Gels

Eric R. Hugo e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu
Thu Apr 21 05:18:39 EST 1994

Dear Bionetters,
    I tend to feel that the glowing blue fluorescence that is sometimes seen
is more likely an artifact of contamination rather than too much EB.
Personally, I think it might be due to all of the fluorescent brighteners used
in everything from laundry detergent to toothpaste.  I've noticed that if I
reposition a gel without a glove on (I know--Bad scientist <whap whap on the
wrist>;-) ) I often see blue glowing fingerprints on the edge of the gel.  I
suspect that this is due to brightener contamination being transferred from my
clothes.  Personally, I could do without all the additives but I guess I'm not
quite ready to start doing my laundry by beating my clothes on a rock.
                                                     Eric