PCR: hot start

Thu Apr 21 15:00:15 EST 1994

> Hi there,
>  your method is NOT a real hot start, because your polymerase is present when
> the temperature increases from ice-cold to denaturation temperature! To make a
>_hot start_ you must arrange for the polymerase _starting_ to work at above the
>extension temperature (i.e. added in middle of "denaturation" step through oil,
> or separated from main mix during temperature increase by waxy material, or ?
> ... find a trigger for polymerases to start only after an initial heating
> step?)
>  All the best,
>    Roland

	I think this method comes as close to hot start as practically
possible.  The time it takes for a block to heat up to 90 C is much much more
than the time it takes a sample to go from ice cold to 90 C.
So although technically it is not a hot start, I don't think it makes
much difference in practice.
	I have been following this method for quite some time and unless
someone proves to me that this is so much inferior, I am going to stick to it.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu