ABI sequence assembly software

John Watson ajwatson at romeo.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:32:24 EST 1994

In article <2p33n8$bvg at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, GEORGE MURPHY
<geo.murphy at afrc.ac.uk> wrote:

> My lab uses Roger Stadens software for sequence assembly and analysis, in
> preference to that supplied by ABI. I understand that ABI have brought out new
> assembly software which may well be an improvement on the old stuff. I would
> appreciate hearing (seeing?) the views of anybody who has tried out both the
> Staden programs and the new ABI software. What do people prefer?
> Cheers,
> George Murphy

We have been using a program called Sequencher.  Everyone seems very happy
with it.  It can directly read in ABI gelrun data (chromatograms), seems to
do contig assembly well, etc. etc. etc.  I think it's expensive, though.
Anyway it's better than the old version of SEQED that ABI sold; I don't
know about the new ABI program.

John