a couple things

Henry sticknbd at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:17:33 EST 1994

1  Does anybody know the molecular mechansim of
DEPC inactivation of RNases?
2  I had some trouble with RNA gels I was running
recently.  It seemed there was a variable amount
of precipitation in the wells, and very little 18 &
28S.  Swapping out several solutions (formaldehyde
with some precipitation, yellowed 10X mops) made
no difference.  What solved it was changing my Etbr.
The stuff I had been using was stored bench top at
room T.  the stuff I just started using was from the
same batch (I made it up in Octover 1993) but stored
refrigerated.  The bench top stuff was somewhat
more opaque and perhaps of a darker hue than the
refrigerated aliquots.  Anyone care to guess what
went on with the EtBr and why/how it ruined my
gels?  I never heard of EtBr going bad.
sticknbd at miranda.cc.vanderbilt.edu