a couple things

Henry sticknbd at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 21 11:08:04 EST 1994

1  Does anybody know the molecular mechanism of DEPC
inactivation of RNases?
2  I had some trouble with RNA gels I was running
recently.  It seemed there was a variable amount of
precipitation in the wells, and very little 18 & 28S.
Swapping out several solutions (formaldehyde with
some precipitation, yellowed 10X mops) made no
difference.  What solved it was changing my EtBr.
The stuff I had been using was stored bench top at
room T.  The stuff I just started using was from the
same batch (I made it up in October 1993) but stored
refrigerated.  The bench top stuff was somewhat
more opaque and definitely darker than the refrigerated
aliquots.  Anybody know what went on with the EtBr
and why/how it ruined my gels?  I never heard of EtBr
going bad.
sticknbd at miranda.cc.vanderbilt.edu