Problems with SDS-Page

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 22 22:05:56 EST 1994

>Hi netters,
>I have problems with SDS-Page gels: the wells in the stacking gel (4%)
>are often not well shaped, so I have to load a less quantity of sample.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try using 0.00025% final concentration Riboflavin in the gel.  It is an
oxygen scavenger and allows polymerisation down to low levels of
acrylamide.  This gives far better wells.  It is also good for the spacers
since it polymerises right up to the spacer itself.

>I have tried to use new stock solutions, deareated and not deareated
>acrylamide, but I always have problems.
>Does anybody have any suggestion?
>Thanks in advance
>                      Paolo Cervini
>Istituto di Genetica
>UCSC - Piacenza
>Italy
>E-mail: botanica5imicilea.cilea.it

Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Matthaei
Gene Targeting
The Australian National University
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au
Landline: 61 6 249 3782

"I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy"