Glasswool for DNA purification-how nasty is it?

Mon Apr 25 16:20:24 EST 1994

> Hello, hello again...
> I've been trying to use saturated NaI to dissolve agarose gel slices and
> bind the DNA trapped therein onto acid-washed glasswool (which is easier to
> handle than the various loose Celite/diatomaceous earth particles I've
> tried).  I get some (30% ?) recovery of DNA after washing the glasswool,
> drying it, and eluting the DNA in TE buffer at about 60 C.  Of course, I'd
> like something closer to 100% recovery...
[stuff deleted]
> Ed Beaty
> Ed_Beaty at qms1.life.uiuc.edu

	From what I know,  glasswool is much worse than asbestos
in being nasty to your lungs.  Before anyone ventures out using glasswool
for routine purifications, may be you ought to find out how nasty is
this really is.  I do know that not everyone is going to handle glasswool
inside a hood, specially when you have a large number of samples to process and
with extensive handling.  Please expand or contradict, because my knowledge is
limited in this.
	Raj Shankarappa
	bsh at med.pitt.edu