absorbance of CTAB

JONATHAN GARY jgary at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 27 19:06:18 EST 1994

In the above article  , LEES at SASK.USASK.CA writes:
>I've heard that absorbance of CTAB is nearly 260nm and this can
>mis-lead DNA quantification.
  I'm not sure on the absorbance of the compound, however if you are
planning to do restriction digests with the DNA I don't suggest having
any CTAB around!!!

>How can we remove this artifact?
  Following the protocol in CURRENT PROTOCOLS... you are RIGHT,
chloroform (we use chloroform:isoamyl alcohol 24:1) will extract CTAB.
Here we usually do 3 CTAB extractions followed by 2 chloroform "washes";
slightly different then described in the C.P. reference but it works
great for us!.

Good luck..CHEERS

Jon Gary