PCR: hot start

Greg Denomme denomme at FHS.CSU.MCMASTER.CA
Thu Apr 28 11:55:44 EST 1994

On 27 Apr 1994, Hank Seifert wrote:

> [stuff deleted]

> We and others have published that ordinary Parafin Wax works
> fine for hotstart.  {Wainwright & Seifert, 1993.  BioTechniques
> 14:34-36, and a Trends in Genetics paper in 1993}. In fact, I think
> AmpliWax is just parafin.

I have used ordinary Parafin and Histology grade wax and have not gotten
them to work like the Ampliwax gems :(   For the Ampliwax protocol, there
is a lower PCR mixture, then the wax (melted and re-solidified) then an upper
PCR mixture.  After the hot start, the wax 'inverts' to the top.  Parafin Wax
and the Hstology grade wax do not do this.
                              ^^^
Am I missing something?  If all you want is to melt wax ON TOP of a PCR
reaction mixture then sure any wax (or 'ampligrease') will do.  When
starting with an RT-PCR ssDNA then the DNA and primers should be kept
separate until the temperature is above the annealing temperature.  This
is a true 'hot start'.

If anyone has a wax that 'inverts' like Ampliwax or know to get the wax to
invert, please post.

Cheers,
Greg
denomme at fhs.csu.mcmaster.ca