RT-PCR

Jonathan Hecht jhecht at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:11:16 EST 1994

In article <2pq1t0$eu2 at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> Jinling Xie,
jxie at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu writes:
>I generally include a negative control in my RT rxn in which I add
>RNAase A treated RNA instead.  You should not get anything from this
>control when pcring.  If you do :-( ===>  DNA contamination!!!!!
>
>--Jinling

This control will certainly control for DNA contamination present in your
reverse transcriptase.  However, you are still depending on your RNAse A
to work (probably not a huge issue :-)).  Also, it does not control for
DNA contamination present in your RNAse A.  I think you probably need
both controls to be really thorough.

Jonathan