Cheap device for gel temp

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Fri Apr 29 11:47:49 EST 1994

Shiao Wang <sywang at> writes:
>I have designed a simple device that uses a normal lab thermometer to
>measure the surface temp of a DNA sequencing gel. I found it to be
>surprisingly useful and accurate. If you are interested in an
>inexpensive device that measures the temp of a flat surface fairly
>accurately, send me you mailing address and I'd be glad to send you a
>drawing of how to make one.

Along a similar vein, I'm looking for a thermostat to regulate a 120V heater
that will monitor surface temperature (NOT air temperature like a room
thermostat does).

Does anyone know where I can find such a device. I know of computer
controlled surface temperature regulators but can't justify the $500+ and as it
need not be calibrated I'm sure that there must be a cheaper alternative.

Any suggestion most welcome.

William D. WARREN, PhD
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology     Email: ww40 at
University of Maryland at College Park    Phone: (301) 405-7681