Plasmid Prep Scale-up

Pendragon lab_winoto at maillink.berkeley.edu.
Wed Aug 3 22:01:06 EST 1994

In article <flo-220794082809 at port57.annex4.net.ubc.ca>
flo at unixg.ubc.ca (Roger Graham) writes:

> When doing large scale plasmid preps using alkaline lysis (e.g. 50 g E.coli
> wet weight) what is minimum volume of reagents required to sustain maximum
> efficiency of plasmid recovery ? I'm sure scaling up directly from miniprep
> amounts (1.5 ml culture pellet = 100 ul solnI, 200ul solnII, 150ul solnIII
> of Birnboim and Doly procedure) would be overkill.

I don't know what your going to do with that much DNA as most work
requires a mere fraction of a minipreps worth.  50g of E. coli.?
Sounds like a fermenter run.  Anyway we routinely get 5 mg of plasmid
DNA from 500 ml shaker cultures using the homemade Diatom maxi-prep
protocol.  My guess is that the culture contains about 5-10 grams of
bacteria.  Stick with the normal maxi-prep protocol amounts and split
your sample up into 4-6 fractions.  Doing it all in one big prep could
prove unwieldy and it probably won't turn out as well.

Pendragon