Reused Electroporation Cuvettes?

eric c. anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Mon Aug 8 11:23:26 EST 1994

In article <31tvaq$gvv at news.mic.ucla.edu>, Jon Visick
<visick at ewald.mbi.edu> wrote:

> >We have a BTX electroporator and I wondert if anyone has tried
> >re-using the cuvettes for it?

the protocol which our lab has developed for the Bio-Rad cuvettes is as
follows:

- immediately after use, wash for 5 min. with Milli-Q water.
- rinse 1X (and _very_ briefly) with 50% bleach solution.
- rinse 5-10 min. with Milli-Q water.
- UV irradiate for at least 5 min. with cuvettes placed upside down on the
light box.

i did not perform the controls for this protocol, a now gone grad student
did, but my experience has been that transformation efficiency is not
significantly different than with new cuvettes, and contamination has not
yet been a problem.

eric
--

BIG AIR...

NOT BIG PANTS!!!
eric c. anderson
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
660 s. euclid box 8103
washington univ. school of medicine
dept of molecular biol. and pharmacology
st. loser, misery 63110