Reused Electroporation Cuvettes?

eric c. anderson anderson at
Mon Aug 8 11:23:26 EST 1994

In article <31tvaq$gvv at>, Jon Visick
<visick at> wrote:

> >We have a BTX electroporator and I wondert if anyone has tried
> >re-using the cuvettes for it?
the protocol which our lab has developed for the Bio-Rad cuvettes is as

- immediately after use, wash for 5 min. with Milli-Q water.
- rinse 1X (and _very_ briefly) with 50% bleach solution.
- rinse 5-10 min. with Milli-Q water.
- UV irradiate for at least 5 min. with cuvettes placed upside down on the
light box.

i did not perform the controls for this protocol, a now gone grad student
did, but my experience has been that transformation efficiency is not
significantly different than with new cuvettes, and contamination has not
yet been a problem.

eric c. anderson
anderson at
660 s. euclid box 8103
washington univ. school of medicine
dept of molecular biol. and pharmacology
st. loser, misery 63110