Altered Sites -Pros? Cons?

douglas gray cancer research gray at
Tue Aug 9 08:24:07 EST 1994

jcuozzo at wrote:
: I am about to start a project that will involve making numerous
: point mutations in a certain protein, and I have been leaning
: towards using Promega's revised Altered Sites protocol.  Is there
: anyone out there who has used this kit, successfully or otherwise?
: I would really appreciate your insight. Also, if anyone has any
: recommendations or warnings about using other double-stranded
: site-directed mutagenesis kits, they would also be much appreciated.

: Thanks!
: J. Cuozzo
: jcuozzo at

We have had very good results with the Promega mutagenesis system.  The
background is very low, and the procedure is simple enough that an
undergraduate in our group was able to produce a series of mutants as a
research project.  We have used other systems from Pharmacia and
Amersham, but I find the Promega system works best around here.

Doug Gray