non-radioactive detection?

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Tue Aug 9 20:07:05 EST 1994

In article <32938v$9bl at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
Andre Hamel <hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>In article <328ouj$8u6 at nrcnet0.nrc.ca> nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca (John Nash) writes:
>>In article <328mh9$h6k at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>,
>>AARON J. MOE <MOE at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU> wrote:
>>>I would like to try a non-radioactive detection system for Northerns and
>>>Southerns.  Can anyone with experience recommend a brand name.
>

>Previous reply somehow lost main parts;
>
>What about importance of type of containers used for each step in DID
>systems? Particularly types of plastic bags, Tupperware, used ... and
>effects on background signal? ... John gave me good advice in past, and as
>result I also get similarly good results using DIG system (DIG-dUTP from
>BM, rest from Sigma, etc).

I think that one of the things my old lab-mate Andre is referring to,
is the plastic used when incubating/exposing the alk. phos and
chemiluminescence reaction.  Many people I know (and me!) tried using
ziplock baggies for this step.  Unfortunately, this turns the whole
exposure to a black mess.  It is important to use (I believe) an
acetate type plastic for this step.  Seal-a-meal(TM) (heat-seal) bags
are ideal for this, as are photocopy transparencies - but they're a
tad expensive.

john
John Nash                          | Email: nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Institute for Biological Sciences  | http://cansnd.cisti.nrc.ca/~nash/home.html
National Research Council of Canada|  for an eclectic collection of
All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  |  WWW molbio and other services.