Split up methods-reagents?

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Thu Aug 11 18:31:30 EST 1994

In article <31pmc6$pmp at agate.berkeley.edu>, lab_winoto at maillink.berkeley.edu. (Pendragon) writes:
> In article <310kcl$cof at news.doit.wisc.edu>
> lehn at islet.medsch.wisc.edu writes:
>
> > I've been noticing that the methods-reagents traffic is
> > increasing.  Perhaps it is time that this group is split
> > up.
>
> Nyet, nyet, NYET!!!  Its much easier to browse by opening one newgroup.
>  Perhaps people could header their queries with a category (eg.  PCR:
> Taq extender; DNA: restriction digestion problem, etc).  But it will
> probably be hard to get people to comply.
>
> Pendragon

Personally, as someone with access to an online newsreader, I agree totally
with Pendragon (I *hate* the idea of having missed a good post and would
have to scour all of the subgroups - with all the inevitable cross-posts -
to satisfy my curiousity).  I think the problem lies with people who are
receiving the newsgroup through a mail/list-server.  In that situation it
is much more convenient to have the subject pre-sorted at source and
dependence on explicit, clear subject lines is much greater.  So, does anyone
have any idea what percentage of people read this group in each manner?
If changes *have* to be made, at least let them be democratic and suitable for
the group as a whole.   [Pontification mode off]
Another question that strikes me is what is the time delay between a post
appearing here and it being searchable in the archive?  If this is short
(<1 week) then I don't really mind in which form the group stays as long as the
archive/index covers all topics.  This becomes much the equivalent of the
choice between scanning the contents pages of journals or looking up the
articles with Medline/Current Contents etc. etc.
		Keep on posting!
			Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.