Pfu Poly, Cloning

ez001427 at ez001427 at
Sun Aug 14 01:41:53 EST 1994

I've noted some discussions about cloning of Taq-amplified PCR products.
Since encountering some fidelity problems with Taq, I have been using the
Pfu polymerase.  I noticed that my blunt-cloning efficiency went up by a
large factor after  the switch, presumably due to Pfu's lack of tt
activity.  I often wonder why most people still use Taq, even though it
is error -prone and has that irritating tt activity. Does Taq have any
advantages other than price and availability?

Marc Goldstein
magoldstein at