RNA from skin + uterus, protein contamination woes

acer forrest at biosci.uq.oz.au
Mon Aug 15 01:06:23 EST 1994

G'day all,
	I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who doesn't get the news.

His problem is:

After extracting his RNA he has had trouble dissolving it.

"Slight problem I have been having with it. To dissolve it in water have to
heat the pellet up to around 60 degrees. This shouldn't have any real effect
on it?? should it. But when the nice mix cools it gels. ALso this only
happens with the uterus and skin sample RNA. (a protien problem perhaps???).
If u have no idea could you email bionet news (or some other forum) and pose
the forum for me."

I suggested it might be a carry over of collagen from the skin sample but I'm
not sure about the uterine sample. Has anyone extracted RNA from similar
sources and observed some sort of contaminant, and have they worked out a way to
get rid of it. Possibly a few further phenol chloroform extractions?

Thanking you in advance,
	Alistair Forrest - PhD student.