? Swiss Protein - kw searches

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Tue Aug 16 09:22:38 EST 1994

In Article <tdlong-110894170138 at 128.120.115.42>, tdlong at ucdavis.edu (Tony
Long) wrote:
>Does anyone know a Gopher site at which I can do searches of the Swiss
>Protein database for proteins within a particular size range.  The searches
>I am doing through Indiana only allow 'dumb' searches.  That is I can
>specify 260 kD and it finds all entries with 260 and kD in it.  Is there
>any software in which I can specify 'fields' for my search (like Medline
>does for journal articles).  Post me directly ... or to the news group
>
>Tony Long
>Center for Population Biology
>U. C. Davis
>Davis, CA
>tdlong at ucdavis.edu

You might try using Entrez, free from NCBI. There is now a network version
available, as well as the older CD version. This software is very useful for
doing searches of the nucleic acid, protein, and MedLine (molecular subset)
databases. They have versions for virtually any machine, and it is very easy
to set up and use. FTP to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and get into the entrez/network
subdirectory. Don't forget to read the README files. Good luck!

Tracy Aquilla, Ph.D.
Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont
aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu