Non-isotopic detection of nucleic acids

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at
Tue Aug 16 09:10:21 EST 1994

In Article <1994Aug9.181946.26535 at>, bergsage at helix (Peter Leif
Bergsagel) wrote:
>We have a summer student who is not licenced to work with radioactivity,
>and would like to use a non-isotopic method for detection of nucleic acids.
>I reviewed the last 4 months postings in the archives and did not find any
>threads that seemed to address the issue. I would be interested to know
>peoples recommendations for:
>1. Detection of a single copy gene in 10 ug of human genomic DNA
>2. Detection of an abundant mRNA (>1000 copies/cell) in 10 ug of total RNA
>3. Screening tertiary plaques, or colonies, or PCR products
>I shall be glad to summarize the response and post it. Endorsements for
>specific commercial products (kits) are encouraged. I thank all
>respondents in advance.

I like the DIG-labeling kit from BM. It's great for detecting abundant
messages on Northerns, and for screening. I have not used it for Southerns,
but I expect it would be OK for that too. It is also very easy to use, and
comes with a pretty good manual.

Tracy Aquilla, Ph.D.
Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont