Cracking SDS gels

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Aug 17 20:29:08 EST 1994

In article <1994Aug17.053319.7393 at news.unige.ch> mike at divsun.unige.ch (Mike Morris) writes:
>  What are the different tricks for drying down thick SDS gels?

I always add glycerol to my gels - in the same concentration as the SDS.
It seems to reduce the risk of cracking.
I always leave the gel under vacuum for 5 to 10 min before turning on
the heat - slow warming also minimizes cracking.

Your best bet: Get one of the membrane systems. The gel is simply air-dried
between two sheets of porous plastic. As long as you don't use heat the
gel will never crack.
You can buy a complete system from Hoeffer, or you can just buy the frames
and the membrane from Hoeffer and buy a fan from K-mart - same function,
lower price

Annette
ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu