SV-40 Promoter Bashing

David S. Huen smh1008 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 01:34:39 EST 1994

Sorry not to reply thru e-mail. My mailer seems to refuse to talk to your
mailer (counselling required...).

In article <18 at compdna.win.net>, you wrote:

> We are looking for a minimal promoter to use in eucaryotic
> expression (transfection) experiments.  Because of viral packaging
> constraints, and a very large gene, we need a functional promoter
> smaller than the usual SV40 or other currently available
> promoters.  We are looking for something smaller than 400 bp, but

I thought there have been some recent papers showing that the phage T7
promoter has unexpectedly good activity in eukaryotic tissues owing to a
similarity to the initiator element in eukryotic promoters. If so T7 is
only 20 bp. Might be worthwhile checking on Medline.

--
David S. Huen                        Phone: (0223) 333921
CRC Human Cancer Genetics Group      Fax:   (0223) 333875
Dept. of Pathology                   e-mail: smh1008 at cus.cam.ac.uk
University of Cambridge
CB2 1QP
United Kingdom