XL-1 Red---Beware!

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Thu Aug 18 14:22:46 EST 1994

Scott Vande Pol (sbv at pop.cwru.edu) wrote:
: Stratagene XL-1 red bacteria are not as advertised!
: 	The problem is that the vast majority of cells in the tube of competant
: bacteria supplied are tet sensitive, less than 10-3 being tet resistant.

	The Tet-R gene in XL1-Blue cells is on the F plasmid.  I suspect
it is also on the F plasmid in XL1-red.  So the may still have the
high mutation rate you wanted.