TAQ contaminated with DNA?

magoldstein at ucdavis.edu magoldstein at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 22 23:34:45 EST 1994

In article <9408230315.AA19701 at alpha.prospect.anprod.csiro.au>,
davead at prospect.anprod.csiro.au (David Adelson) wrote:

> Has anyone found that their Taq polymerase gives a nice ladder of
> background bands without the benefit of added template and in the absence
> of possible laboratory introduced contamination?   We have some enzyme

I've heard that some years ago, DNA contamination in Taq was quite common,
and that people trying to amplify sequences that were highly conserved
(rDNA, etc..) would often get amplification products later traced to
poorly purified Taq.  I was under the impression that this rarely happens
anymore, but you never know....
Marc A. Goldstein
Section of Plant Biology
UC Davis