Ultralow recommendations needed

Curt Ashendel ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Sat Aug 20 17:10:42 EST 1994

On Thu, 18 Aug 94 11:40:40 GMT,
Paul A. Vescio  <vescip at rpi.edu> wrote:

>In Article <aquilla.1127608949C at sadye.emba.uvm.edu>,
>aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu (Tracy Aquilla) wrote:
>>In Article <vescip.1127423392A at usenet.rpi.edu>, vescip at rpi.edu (Paul A.
>>Vescio) wrote:
>>
>>>We recently had to replace both compressors in our Revco.  The guy who fixed
>>>it said that the type of compressors used in any ultra low will typically
>>>fail after 5-6 years.  I don't think it matters to much which one you buy
>>>but not to be dissappointed when a compressor goes after a few years.   It
>>>actually ends up being cheaper to replace the old compressors opposed to
>>>buying a new freezer and they should last for another 5-6 years if you don't
>>>treat it like crap.
>>
>>Can you be more precise when you say "if you don't treat it like crap". I
>>would like to know what to do differently to make my freezer's compressor
>>last longer.
>
>Don't leave the door open for longer than a few minutes, defrost it once a
>month,  [Other advice deleted]

Oh Boy!  I must be lucky!  Or else smart, for not Buying a Revco.  I had
real problems with one as a Grad student, so when I got one for my lab I
swore I would never get a Revco.  I got a Queue Cryostar insead, but I
think the brand name has changed since then.  It is a large chest type
(highly recommended!) that is rated at -100C.  I set it to -100C and it
stays at -100C, with the compressor runing only about 40 to 50% of the
time.  It is ten years old and has its original compressor.  BTW, it is a
single compressor system, which probably explains its stability.  It has
been defrosted three times in ten years.  It is opened 10 to 20 times per
day on the average, and does accumulate some snow inside, which always
falls to the  bottom.  The snow just packs down on the bottom never gets in
the way.  We use a storage rack system to improve the speed of finding
things, so we do not have to rake around in the snow unless someone spills
a box of microfuge tubes ;-(

I stick by my original biases:  Stay away from Revcos, and get a chest type
not an upright.  The floor space is well spent.  It also helps  to keep
these freezers full.

Curt Ashendel
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN