Touchdown PCR reactions

Peter Kaub p-kaub at csu.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 23:21:17 EST 1994

szcooley at chip.ucdavis.edu () writes:
>You might try "touchdown PCR". In this method it is not neccessary to
>optimize. You, in essence, run a ramp of the annealling temperature. The
>first cycles start at a high temp and subsequent cycles at lower and
>lower temps. The system works well for new primers where the problem may
>be something else in the reaction as well. Also you can "optimize" at the
>same time by making duplicate reactions and slipping a new tube into the
>machine after every couple of cycles. Depending on which ones work and
>which ones don't the optimal temp will be evident

I must put in my vote for "Touchdown PCR" (Roux, K.H., Using Mismatched
Primer-Template Pairs in Touchdown PCR, Biotechniques, 16(5):812)
particularly when going gene fishing in between species.  It saves on
having to use degenerate primers, but allows you to use existing primers
from one species.  Basically by dropping your temperature every few cycles
from an initially high annealing temp. to 40C you get the best of both
worlds i.e. initial high specificity followed by low enough annealing
temp. to incorporate mismatches that may exist in a homologous sequence.
If you can get bands at 40C with a primer pair, then touchdown PCR
could help you to get one product that is highly homologous, but not
identical to the sequence your chasing form another species/individual
etc.

Pete Kaub <p-kaub at possum.murdoch.edu.au>
Biotechnology,
Murdoch University,