help: phage DNA extraction

John Nash nash at
Thu Aug 25 17:26:42 EST 1994

In article <9408252046.AA00554 at>,
 <pzhang at CC.UManitoba.CA> wrote:
>Dear Netters,
>I have extracted two batches of phage DNA from plate lysates. First batch
>was very good: yield was high, digestion was complete. However, second
>batch was not so good. DNA can not been digested completely. I did
>another phenol extraction and chloroform extraction. Thing gets worse: it

>The only  difference between the two batches was that new plates were used
>with the first batch (2-day old plates for the first batch and 4-week old
>plates for the second batch).

You said it right there. In my hands, phage yields are always lousy
with old plates.   I make 'em an hour before I use 'em.

John Nash                          | Email: nash at
Institute for Biological Sciences  |
National Research Council of Canada|  for an eclectic collection of
All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  |  WWW molbio and other services.