vancomycin and Agrobacterium

Stuart Kuhstoss sk at
Fri Aug 26 11:30:36 EST 1994

In Article <33kebl$1d5 at>, "Wolfram Brune"
<BRUNE at> wrote:
>In message <9482520047.~INN-IYAa00165.bionet-news at> Bjorn Orvar writes:
>> I am transforming tobacco leaf discs  with the agrobacterium strain LBA4404
>> and I would like to know if I can use vancomycin for killing this strain
>> during the selection of transformants,  instead of carbenicillin (I have a
>> lot
>> of vancomycin!).
>> Thank you
>> Bjorn Orvar
>I don't know, but I would guess that vancomycin might work for *killing* your
>bacteria. However, I'm quite sure that it doesn't work for selection (instead
>carbenicillin) as vancomycin and the penicillins belong to totally different
>groups of antibiotics. A plasmid conferring resistance to penicillins will most

>certainly not help against vanc.
>If you ever get a plasmid that can confer resistance to vanc (I don't think it
>is available), try not to use it. If resistance to vanc ever gets into MRSA
>(=Methicillin resistant staph aureus), this would be a major desaster... :-(
>Wolfram Brune
>Center of Molecular Biology Heidelberg (ZMBH)
>Im Neuenheimer Feld 282
>D-69120 Heidelberg
>phone: (+49) 6221 566861
>e-mail: BRUNE at
>"Everybody is a foreigner, almost everywhere."

I'd like to second Wolframs's caution. Vanc is the only antibiotic that
kills some things and is used for serious clinical infections (read life and
death).  Resistant strains are appearing, although Vanc resistance hasn't
migrated to MRSA, yet.  I don't think it would be wise to start using Vanc
as a marker for routine experiments.

Stu Kuhstoss