T7 RNA polymerase promoter question.

Peter Gegenheimer peterg at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Sat Aug 27 16:28:34 EST 1994

In <jr.33.000D26BF at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk>, jr at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk writes:
>Dear all,
>
>      Maybe someone out there can help me with this question regarding the
>T7 RNA promoter. So far as I can find out the promoter sequence is:
>(From the Stratagene catalog)
>

>TAATACGACTCACTATA *GGG
>
> in which transcription initiates at the first G residue of the three G's and
>is marked with an asterix
>
>My question is : Do those three G's have to be there or could I replace the
>three G's without loss of transcription activity?

The three G's ARE part of the promoter, but can be changed somewhat, as other postings and
lit. refs. have indicated. For example, ---*GcG works quite well. Uhlenbecks' lab has done a
lot of work on this problem, some of which should be in the Mulligan et al reference in Meth
Enz.

| Peter Gegenheimer                          |  pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu     |
| Departments of Biochemistry and of Botany  |  voice: 913-864-3939           |
| University of Kansas                       |  FAX  : 913-864-5321           |
| 2045 Haworth Hall                          | "The sleep of reason produces  |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106                   |  monsters."              Goya  |