ß-galactosidase and NP-40

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sun Aug 28 09:27:12 EST 1994

Has anyone had experience with the effects of detergents like NP-40 upon
ß-galactosidase activity as assayed by the ONPG method in Maniatis?

I wish to use a gal reporter construct (pCH110 from Pharmacia) to monitor
transfection efficiency in an experiment which requires lysis of the cells
with 0.25% NP-40 in order to isolate a viral protein. The protein cannot
be recovered efficiently by the simple freeze-thaw recommended for the
preparation of cell lysate for the ß-gal assay.

Cheers

Karlos

--
Karl Fischer
Dept. of Medical Microbiology and
kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca

He gave them a smile, pulled out a bottle of wine
Said 'I never existed, you've been wasting your time.'
<Take a Long Line - Angel City>