PCR inhibitors in insect tissue?

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Tue Aug 30 09:41:56 EST 1994

In Article <23AUG94.16244964 at skyfox.usask.ca>, edwardsg at skyfox.usask.ca wrote:
>Has anyone else experienced problems with PCR inhibitors when attempting to
ampl
>ify insect DNA.  I have tried GeneClean, Elutip-d columns, multiple
phenol-chlor
>oform treatments, however, some inhibitors remain and this really knocks down
th
>e sensitivity. If you have developed a new or old but inovative protocol please
>let me in on it.

This probably depends a lot on which insect and which tissue. Some tissues
are easier to get clean DNA from than others. For example, fat body
generally has lots of insoulble material in it. You may also be having
problems with chitin. What tissue and what insect are we talking about? What
is the evidence you have for the presence of 'PCR inhibitors'? Are you sure
the problem is with this specific DNA?

Tracy Aquilla, Ph.D.
Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont