Buying Hyb. Oven/Roller

Mark Farinha mfarinha at
Tue Aug 30 15:41:41 EST 1994

In article <1994Aug30.093334.28556 at miavx1>, ktgeiss at says:
>     We are going to buy a hybridization oven/roller. If you have any
>experience with them, could you please forward your suggestions?

We have a Robbins roller/oven which works fairly well and has
the added bonus that the new model can be purchased with a rocker
platform adaptor so you can use it for other purposes as well.  I
must admit that I am old fashioned and still do many hybridizations
in baggies despite the mess, especially when I am using heterologous
probes.  Ovens are OK for hybridization but not really good for
maintaining accurate washing temperatures.  A forced air oven is
probably a better buy but we don't have one.  For us the cost of the
oven hasn't been recovered based on usage for hybridization but it has
been a nice benchtop incubator for my phage overlays.

Mark Farinha
University of Alberta    Biological Sciences